Project name: Manufactory of New Basalt Commodities.
High and increasing demand in Environment Friendly Composite Products, based on very cheep and abundant raw material.
Research and development of advanced basalt products, particularly the CONTINUOUS BASALT FIBRE (CBF) of different diametrers (from 7 to 30 micrometers) and High thermal resistance and tensile strength fibers that fit better to the needs of end users and and which can substitute successfully the traditional making of glass fibres in all organic and inorganic polymers (geopolymers)
Basalt resources in SA.
The kingdom of Saudi Arabia is one of the richest Countries in basalt resources all over the world.The basalts are very widely distributed in western part of SA .They cover more than 180 th.sq.km of almost continuous basalt plateau from Almadina in the north up to Saudi porder, besides huge, 15000 sq.km, basalt plateau in North eastern the Kingdom.
Basalts are of different structural (massive, piroclastics, scoria and tuffs) and compositional types (basic, medium, acidic, olivine, sub alkali and alkali). The suitable basalts for CBF making are available in many places of western SA in comparison with world wide used basalts: Chemical Composition of Basalt suitable for CBF
Basalt products advantages:
- Basalt have no toxic reaction with air or water, are non-combustible and explosion proof. When in contact with other chemicals they produce no chemical reactions that may damage health or environment.
- Basalt products can replace almost all applications of asbestos and has three times its heat insulating properties.
- Comprised of single-ingredient raw material melt basalt fibers are superiors to other fibers in terms of thermal stability, heat and sound insulation properties, vibration resistance and durability.
- Basalt continuous fibers offer prospect of a completely new range of composite materials and products.
- Basalt fibers together with carbon or ceramic fibers as well as various metals is the most advanced and exiting area of application, as they can develop new hybrid composite materials and technologies.
- Basalt special properties reduce the cost of products whilst improving their performance. More than hundreds specific unique manufacturing techniques can basalt fiber materials.
- Basalt base composites can replace steel and known reinforced plastics (1 kg of basalt reinforce replaces 9,6 kg of steel).
- More than hundreds specific unique manufacturing techniques using basalt fiber materials.
- Thermal and sound insulation light composite materials
- Pipes for various purposes, the life of basalt pipes, designed for wide range of applications is at least 50 years without maintenance or electric or technical protection
- Bars, fittings. Fabrics nets, prepregs.
- Structural plastics and Insulating plastics.
- Frictional materials.